Thursday, February 14, 2008

Sweet!

For those who may be wondering, the cheese factory did get back to me and they're going to put me in touch with the man who makes the Humbugs. He is, apparently, very happy to do business with me, which kind of makes me all cozy inside. It's a small, family owned business (I'm picturing a big farm kitchen with Humbug scented air) and those are my favourite kind. The fact that they make one of my favourite candies is icing on the proverbial cake.

And now, about Valentine's Day...

I want to wish everyone a happy, warm-hearted, love-filled day.

I know it's supposed to be all about lovers, but that makes me uncomfortable. I have two very close friends who have both recently separated from their husbands, a sister that I adore who hasn't found her own beloved yet, and a blog friend who is still searching for her prince.

My Valentine's Day is big enough for all of them. For all of us.

I remember lonely Valentine's Days very well. Until I met My Beloved, I spent all of them alone - every single one. I hated all the gooey sweetness of a day everyone said was meant for people in love. It made me feel like I was somehow unworthy of the love that seemed to magically bloom all around me each February 14th.

I hated it the way I now hate all the things that make me feel like I'm on the outside of a great big nursery looking in at all the babies that don't belong to me.

Mother's Day is the Valentine's Day of the childless and bereaved.

I know feeling excluded is unavoidable and there are times when it's impossible to be included, but not today.

Today I'm wishing everyone who has ever loved anyone (romantically, platonically and everything in between) and everyone I love a very happy Valentine's Day.

No off with you - go eat some chocolate.

4 comments:

Lori said...

I consider Valentine's Day to be about the love a person has for everyone in their lives....friends, lovers and family alike!

BigP's Heather said...

Happy Valentine's Day!!

Julia said...

So glad you are getting your candy, and that the money goes to a business it's impossible not to feel good about.

Kim said...

Thank you sweetie. I hope your day was full of all kinds of love.