Friday, March 07, 2008

Ripples into eternity

Today was the twins due date. Sunday is Thomas' 3rd birthday. I'm so changed by the tiny lives that have crept silently into and out of my life. It's amazing how lives so small and impossibly brief can have such tremendous and eternal resonance.

It's a Wonderful Life is one of my favourite movies, and aside from the fact that I adore Jimmy Stewart, I think the reason I like it so much is because of the dramatic way it shows how one person's life can impact the lives of so many others. It demonstrates how every decision, every action and every reaction sends ripples into eternity.

Which is why I'm asking you, if you're so inclined, to do something kind on Sunday in Thomas' memory. Any sort of good deed, be it big or small, will mean he is still changing lives; still present here in a very tangible way.

This has always been so important to us, almost right from the moment he died. It's what we asked of people in his obituary, as a matter of fact.

It's the only way we can still know his presence here - it's the only way we can still feel it and see it and truly know it.

So please, if you can, consider doing a random act of kindness for Thomas. And unless you prefer to keep yourself and your deed anonymous, please come back and tell us how our boy's life is sending ripples into eternity.

Leah and Sherry, thank you so much for the donations you made in Thomas' memory. We are so grateful for your kindness and generosity.

8 comments:

christhadasister said...

I'm delurking to say I will definitely pass along a good deed to someone on Sunday in memory of Thomas... I like that he's putting forth goodness and hope...

Denise said...

Already done. There is a thread on the other board :)
((((((((((hugs))))))))))

m said...

What a wonderful legacy... Monday is the 2 year anniversary of the loss of our twins, I also want to know that they made a tiny difference.

I will do this for all of our lost, precious children....
x

Becci said...

Of course.

stephanie said...

Thinking of you my dear, dear friend, and sending love to you and Sandy.

moplans said...

I will keep you all in my thoughts and will find an opportunity to honour Thomas.

HereWeGoAJen said...

On Sunday, I bought Girl Scout cookies for a soldier and wrote "For Thomas" on the box. I didn't go out on Sunday except for grocery shopping, so that was the best I could do. I am going to keep working on it until I do an acceptable good deed for Thomas.

Searching said...

I will definately do something in memory of Thomas and the twins too. Thinking of you.