Monday, January 05, 2009

Sound bite

The headline read, "Travolta breaks two day silence to talk about son's death". And my head came *this* close to exploding.

Breaks his silence
? Are you kidding me?! Does the media - does anyone - think that we're owed something from this family, so freshly introduced to the unfathomable depths of child-loss grief? Does anyone think we should be his top priority right now? Does anyone think we have the right to be miffed that it took him two whole days to speak?

I have criticized people in my own life who have kept their distance from us. But I have to wonder how much worse it would have been to have everyone feel that they had a right to know everything I was thinking and feeling - to continue to poke me until I bled the information they so desperately wanted. For their own entertainment.

My public statement two days after Thomas' death would have been unintelligible. Or, actually, probably really cold and formal. I was still in shock and operating in a strange parallel universe all my own. Looking back, the only outward evidence of my grief was the fact that I refused to leave my room. For 6 days the only time I left the safety of those four walls was to see Thomas the day he died, and to reluctantly walk the hall the day I was released, at My Beloved's urging.

I didn't cry in front of anyone, except My Beloved, and I was pleasant, friendly and calm. And totally, completely out of it.

I can't imagine what it would have been like to feel that way and have the entire entertainment industry breathing down my neck. Waiting for words they could print. To sell papers to gawkers.

A comment. On the death of your son. They should instead ask for a sound bite so that the grieving parents can demonstrate the pain that words simply cannot; with a guttural howl.

That just might get them the privacy and respect they deserve.

11 comments:

Julia said...

Because I live under a rock I didn't know about this until just now. I agree with you virtually 100%. And I hurt for the family having to deal with this terrible situation in the public eye...

Lori said...

I totally agree, Kristin. They should be left alone. My heart aches for them.

areyoukiddingme said...

I feel terribly sorry for the family - to deal with such grief and to be hounded by the press at the same time.

loribeth said...

Very true. Granted, I'm sure one of their publicists crafted the statement on their behalf & they just had to approve it, but still --- to even have to think about such things -- let alone having to deal with all the paparazzi, etc.?? *shudder*

Melissa said...

This whole story has been so frustrating. Leave them alone! And I really wish people would quit speculating on what was "wrong" with Jett. His parents loved him and he died and now they are going through their own private hell.

Hennifer said...

Here, here Kristin and Melissa.

What floored me was a headline on the phone (the day after their son died) "Travolta's Golden Globe appearance in doubt"

Really? you freaking think so? Because I was so certain it would all be wrapped up and tidy in a week's time. Seriously.

Doodle - said...

I couldn't agree more.

delphi said...

So well said. My heart breaks.

Rosepetal said...

Agreed. I also hate the way that some are already apportioning blame (Scientology) when actually they know nothing about the circumstances in which Jett died. I'm not exactly a fan of Scientology but come on.

Heather said...

Agree, agree. Just verifies how clueless 99% of the population really is.

Aurelia said...

Yeah, some asinine political blogger wrote a post about how the parents were at fault, blah blah, Scientology, etc. but OF COURSE he felt such sympathy. Jackass.

I just about tore him a new one.

I am glad they have publicists and lawyers. Poor people.