Friday, July 23, 2010

Saving grace

It's pouring rain - pounding on the roof and, thankfully, on my poor parched pie pumpkins which can't seem to get enough water these days.

But that's not what's keeping me up. Mostly it's all the cheese and chocolate. A fondue extravaganza, is what it was, with wine and friends. And way, way, way too much food. Seriously.

And then, A Single Man. Which, if you haven't seen it, is utterly fantastic. It so beautifully and artfully demonstrates what it's like seeing life through the lens of loss; how shades of gray dominate until a spark of beauty - a kind word, a lovely face, a selfless gesture - infuses a moment with colour. And in those moments, a fragment of the beauty that existed before loss returns. Shines. Saves.

It was truly stunning in its simplicity and power.

And it's all so true. Loss does alter the way you see the world, and there's nothing you can do to change that. You can't un-ring a bell, as they say. And so it follows that you can't be who or what you were before loss. That person is simply gone.

But there are moments that revive your soul, quench a thirst you didn't know you had, and keep you moving forward. Step by stubborn step.

Today it was a chance encounter in the parking lot of the grocery store. A voice calling my name, a hand gently touching my arm, a friend asking for news about my dad - caring so very much.

And in those few sweet moments, colour radiated from her and bathed me in its healing light.

And for that gentle, restorative energy I am so grateful.

Once again, I am saved.

4 comments:

Justine L said...

Thanks for this reminder. Yes, I guess we can't go back, can we. Waiting to go to the doctor, but must remember to look for, and notice, the moments of saving grace.

One. hour. at. a. time.

erica said...

Thanks for writing this, for putting it so well. There's this perception out there that once you are saved, you are safe, but I think we need saving over and over again. I'm glad someone saved you.

Pamela T. said...

Genuine kindness -- when you see it you know it.

kate said...

Plus, Colin Firth is in it.

I am glad you had one of those moments.