Thursday, September 28, 2006

It's official

October 15th is officially Pregnancy and Infant Loss Remembrance Day in the United States. It was passed in Congress today.

According to the wonderful people at www.october15th.com:

Pregnancy and Infant Loss Remembrance Day is to promote support, education and awareness for grieving parents nationwide (and worldwide).

Too many families grieve in silence, sometimes never coming to terms with their loss. Our goal is to help others relate to our loss, know what to say, do or not say, not do and to help families live with their loss, not "get over" their loss.


I only wish the day was also recognized here in Canada. If I had any inkling as to how to go about doing here what the October 15th supporters have done in the States, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Any ideas? Anyone? Anyone?

5 comments:

Erin said...

I wouldn't have any idea how to go about this but if you find a way I will totally support it!

I think rebecca may be right when she says it all starts with calls and letters.

Denise said...

I could be wrong but I think if you contacted your Member of Parliament they may be able to do something with a private members bill.
Four provinces (Ontario, New Brunswick, Quebec and Nova Scotia) have Sept. 6th as a stillbirth awareness day (I know this isn't your situation) but I think that there would be support for a national day for Pregnancy and Infant Loss Remembrance Day if some of the ground work has already been laid.
((((((hugs))))))

delphi said...

Well, I would be completely behind a Canadian initiative, too. Mind you, my MP is a complete idiot, so I wouldn't trust him to take a Private Members bill forward...

delphi said...

P.S. We are organizing a Walk of Rememberance and Hope in our city... that is something relatively easy to do that grows awareness.

KatieMc said...

I vote for the walk of remembrance or a press event of some sort.

Grassroots movements YEAH! Nothing like a public event organized by regular citizens to have politicians sit up and take notice....and want to jump on the bandwagon. "Look what I support. Aren't I great?"