Monday, November 01, 2010

The crazy cat lady

Last Halloween we went all out. I was a mummy and My Beloved was a delightfully homemade Superman (I have photographic evidence, but I'm fairly certain I'd be served with divorce papers if said photos landed up on this blog...).

This year, however, we weren't able to muster up the energy to do much of anything. Worry makes you tired, was our conclusion yesterday. We put out a pumpkin and the sound-activated spider - and of course we had treats - but we were planning to be plainclothes Halloweenies for the night.

But by late in the day I found I couldn't completely resist Halloween's lure. So I came up with this...


The ponytail "cat ears" really show off my gray roots, which is an especially nice touch, I think.

I put on a Snoopy Halloween hoodie to complete the ensemble, then I poured a glass of wine and sat in the living room to wait for the trick-or-treaters.

Halfway through my glass of wine I realized how ridiculous it all was - a 40-year old childless woman in a Snoopy sweatshirt and cat makeup sitting in the front window with a beer glass full of wine.

Yeah, I'm way classy.

But you know, I think this is what would have made me a good mom. Minus the wine part. And maybe that makes it all the more pathetic that I still do this sort of thing, but I shall choose to think that it makes me charming instead.

As the years pass it will, I suppose, just make me look really crazy - but we'll cross that bridge to the asylum when we come to it.

7 comments:

loribeth said...

Not pathetic at all. Nobody said you have to have kids to have fun on Halloween. ; ) I know some people struggling with loss & IF turn out the lights or leave town altogether. I said to dh last night that I didn't think I could do that, I enjoy it too much. Some years (especially the first few) have been more difficult than others, but I still love carving a pumpkin & handing out candy to those excited little trick or treaters. I missed it during the years I lived in a university dorm & in an apartment (although, granted, back then, I was expecting to have my own little trick or treaters someday). We don't go as all out with the decorations as some of our neighbours do, but I put up a few things & put out a jack o'lantern, & I have been contemplating buying a witch's hat to wear when answering the door. ; ) Next year I WILL do it, & then you will have company! ; )

Mrs. Spit said...

I think it's charming!!!

Rosepetal said...

Utterly charming and not in the least ridiculous. Miaow.

areyoukiddingme said...

Trick or Treaters are concerned with 2 things...having fun and getting candy. The more people to have fun with, the better! If you have a good time, why shouldn't you dress up?

DinosaurD said...

Actually, I thought it was an uncanny resemblance to mickey mouse (not that I'm a fan of the rodent and I'm not even sure I spelled his name correctly).
And hey, you look happy.. not too shabby.
DinoD

Jules said...

I think you look awesome! I felt lame as a plainclothes candy giver this year, but my costume this year was Maude Lebowski from the Gutterballs scene (my husband was The Dude) and I knew the kids just wouldn't get it and I would be cold. I told my husband that next year I will have two costumes...one for the party, and one for the trick or treaters. I know I always LOVED seeing a grown-up dressed up in a costume to give out candy, so even if the parents think I am crazy, I know the kids will like it, and that's what's important.

AnotherDreamer said...

I don't think it's pathetic at all :) It IS charming.

We had a group in costumes handing out candy on my front porch, then we had some alcoholic dessert treats for ourselves ;) But most of us weren't really in the mood for Halloween this year, although we normally are very much. I only did the costume because I already had it from a few years ago.