Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Because everyone needs a little magic now and then

MAGIC COOKIE BARS

1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
1/2 cup melted butter
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 1/2 cups sweetened coconut
1 cup chocolate chips
1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts (it has been suggested to me that chopped maraschino cherries are a good Christmas substitute for nuts if you're not a big nut fan or have nut allergies. I haven't tried this, but it sounds good to me!)

Mix graham cracker crumbs and melted butter in a 9 x 13 inch baking pan until the butter is completely incorporated into the crumbs and there are no dry patches. Press the crumb mixture firmly and evenly into the bottom of the pan.

Pour entire can of sweetened condensed milk on top of the crumb mixture in an even layer.

Add next three ingredients (in order) in even layers, pressing down gently but firmly after the last layer (not so much that you get covered in goo, but enough that the nuts and chocolate chips are slightly embedded in the coconut and condensed milk).

Bake in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes.

Cool completely, then cut into squares.

These are some serious goodness (and very, very easy to make). Bake at your own risk.

4 comments:

Erin said...

I know what I am making in a few days!

Rosepetal said...

Can you lend me your kitty as well? The small continental divide shouldn't be too much of a problem....

Lollipop Goldstein said...

My mom made these tonight for Thanksgiving dinner! I was going to ask her for the recipe, but now I don't have to. Thank you for posting this.

kate said...

I *love* these. I like to use half chocolate and half butterscotch chips. Nobody in my family but me likes coconut though, so if i make them i have to eat ALL of them. Which i can *easily* do, but it is not good for the waistline...