Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Smallest Wingless

I'm jumping on Catherine's coattails here, but I absolutely had to post this song by Canadian singer/songwriter Craig Cardiff.

The fact that he has made something so beautiful out of something so terrible touches me very, very deeply and I'm so grateful that he has given life to this exquisite expression of love and pain.

SMALLEST WINGLESS

Dear One, we've been waiting for you.
We're thrilled, beside ourselves, that you've arrived.

White coats came in,
heads held low,
and talked for a bit, shuffled outside.

We closed the curtains and held each other,
and cried.
We said hello at the same time that we said goodbye.

The smallest and wingless,
leaving as soon as you arrived.
Sadness is just loved wasted,
with no little heart to place inside.

We closed the curtains and held each other,
and cried.
We said hello at the same time that we said goodbye.

6 comments:

delphi said...

I am also so, SO deeply touched by this. Amazing.

delphi said...

Did you see this?
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=8454806

Sherry said...

So incredibly moving.

Kristen said...

That is beautiful. Thank you for sharing.

Mattson Griffiths said...

He played this for us by himself LIVE while I was working at camp this summer. Not a person said anything during any of his songs and that includes my campers with severe ADHD. Great artist.

Shannon said...

I absolutely LOVE This song, it's my ringtone on my phone, it's helped get me through the last 14 months. Thank you for sharing the lyrics...