Sunday, June 15, 2008

Father's Day

Last weekend we babysat our nephew for several hours on Saturday. In the afternoon, after Nutella sandwiches, fresh strawberries and kite-flying at the park, My Beloved sat down on the floor and began to teach J how to play chess.

He's five.

Three years ago My Beloved had just 20 hours to be a Father to Thomas, and in that agonizingly short time I saw the sweetest glimpse of what could have been.

As the years pass and I watch him doing things like teaching five-year olds how to play chess, and playing peek-a-boo over the fence with our two-year old Goddaughter, I know beyond a shadow of a doubt what kind of Father he would have been to our son.

And what kind of Father he is in his heart.

I love you, Sandy.

5 comments:

Mrs. Collins said...

That's a beautiful picture. Happy Father's Day to you DH. And peace to you.

Terynn said...

Lovely thoughts. My heart is full after reading your words and yet, breaks for you both for the same reason. Praying deep peace and comfort for you both...

Teri
(from Iowa)
http://youandmeandeverythinginbetween.blogspot.com/

http://andthengodsaid.blogspot.com/

Katie said...

I am in tears.

Thinking of you both.

Molly said...

So sweet. In some way, some day, I know you both will have complete hearts.

Bon said...

i'm late to this, but...just wanted to say i was here. that this was a beautiful, bittersweet post...with a beautiful, bittersweet picture.