Friday, August 04, 2006

And then there were none. Again.



Another family of birds has come and gone. Sigh.

This was the last picture I took of the baby Mourning Doves. Well, one baby and one mama, anyway. I snapped it on Monday, the day before they left the nest (a less than graceful departure, incidentally - think Woodstock in vulture's clothing).

I'm glad we're no longer the crazy people with one dead hanging basket twisting wildly in the wind, but I'll miss the little fellows who've been calling it home since the end of June. As much as I loved our tree swallows, they were very territorial in the last weeks before they flew the coop. The doves, by sharp contrast, were very peaceful house guests. The worst they did was eye us warily.

Oh, and there was a disgruntled "MRrrrroooCOOOOOOO" when My Beloved cracked his head on the bottom of the pot one afternoon while he was gardening, but other than that they were quiet and extremely good natured.

I miss them.

Now what?

No comments: