Thursday, January 12, 2006

That ain't no muffin

I think one of our neighbours across the street is pregnant. I was peering out the office window watching the world go by when I caught sight of what I suspect is a slightly rounder tummy than normal. She's one of those people who could eat a muffin and it would show, so I'm betting I'm right.

I, on the other hand, could eat a dozen muffins and no one would suspect a thing. In fact, I was 5 months pregnant and had to tell a co-worker I didn't see that often that I had a baby on board because she had no clue and was visibly perplexed by my ramblings about due dates and pregnancy symptoms.

Anyway, I haven't seen this neighbour without a coat on in months, but this evening she stepped out onto her porch to say goodbye to her husband. Her snug brown shirt was pulled suspiciously tightly over a telltale bump.

This is what happens when you spy on people - you find out things that maybe you wish you hadn't.

Sigh. God now has me completely surrounded.

So you know what I did? I shoveled more carrot sticks into my mouth and turned away. Because really, what else can I do?

3 comments:

kate said...

(((((hugs)))))) Yeah, and pull the blinds.

When i was pregnant with Nicolas we lived in one of the most baby-oriented neighborhoods in the city. In our building, at least one family out of 4 had a newborn. After he died i found myself spying on the happy neighbors...it SUCKS. Of course the cute 2-year old curly-haired boy across was named Nicolas too...sigh. It *will* get better though for you...somehow...

x said...

Carrot sticks - what a sad excuse for comfort food but one of the few you can shovel in while on WW.
I just found out a co-worker is pg - better get an extra large bag of carrots for me.
All pg women should bugger off, until we are pg (of course).

Sherry said...

Almost feels like you're being surrounded, like an ambush, doesn't it? Just this past weekend I caught a glimpse of our new-parent neighbors cradling their wee one while they walked into their house. Pass me one of those carrot sticks, too ... (((HUGS)))