Monday, April 24, 2006

Just because it's funny...

The other day I was talking to a friend of mine (another fashion victim of the 80s) about the gigantic novelty earrings that were all the rage when we were teenagers. As it turns out, we both had lightning bolt and telephone receiver earrings.

That's right, they actually sold more than one pair of each. Incredible.

Anyway, the trip down accessory memory lane got me wondering about what I actually did save in the way of jewelry from the days of yore.

And so I went digging.

What I found was a plethora of truly horrible and incredibly large earrings circa 1984-1989. Most of them plastic.

I'd forgotten just how frightening earrings can be. In fact, my ears and psyche have been so completely scarred that I rarely wear them at all now. I'm pretty sure I've adorned my years but twice in the last four years - for a friend's wedding in June 2004 and before that, for my own.

Earrings scare me. And I'm about to show you why.

This, my friends, is the contents of my 1980s jewelry box earring drawer. I've included a penny in the shot to show you the scale (apparently my motto was "nothing smaller than a penny" back then):



I threw in a few huge plastic brooches for good comedic measure.

Maybe tomorrow I'll dig out my two foot strands of white plastic pearls...

8 comments:

Catherine said...

Oh my gosh! I can't believe you admit to those! lol I actually sold a good part of my collection at a garage sale a few years ago. Hard to believe people bought them...but for $0.10, I guess they couldn't pass up a deal.

Love the cloissone!

Sherry said...

Um ... I remember wearing those types of earrings, too. Ahhh, the '80s. I hope the next generations will forgive us! ;-)

And, those Christmas wreaths are cute - could you maybe convert them into ornaments?

Ann Howell said...

LOL! God, that collection is a riot! I had a penchant for the long dangly stuff, a la Cyndi Lauper. Do you have any pictures of yourself wearing your giant earrings (particularly if your hairstyle feature anything with lots of feathering or spikes, lol!)? We should have an 80s photo round robin in here. I think most of my pics from that era are back at my parents' place, but I may be able to dig up one or two...

Shinny said...

I had a bigger collection then that but gave it to my mom years ago. Last fall when she was cleaning out stuff and trying to downsize those earrings and the 4 jewelry boxes that they filled surfaced. My husband, who didn't know me back in those days, was amazed at the collection.
You are not alone and I really need a digital camera!

Chrissy said...

LOL! Ahh the memories. Luckily I no longer have any evidance of giant plastic earings OR multi colored plastic long pearl necklaces.

kate said...

I thought the lightning bolt earring were SO COOL and i hated my mother for not letting me get my ears pierced so i could wear them. She said, not until i was 21! A million thanks to Mom....

Bekki said...

OH THE MEMORIES!! What a great post. My ears weren't pierced but I was SO jealous of the telephone earrings! I had LOADS of plastic bead necklaces and gigantic plastic bracelets. Funnt they went from the giant bracelets to those skinny jelly bracelets, although I guess we stacked those all the way up our arms. And what about the ginormous belts?? Wooo those were the days! LOL

Claire said...

I need to know which earrings/outfit you wore with the 'big clown' brooch in the top left corner. I am still hoping you will post photos of you modelling them, poke poke poke!