Tuesday, March 21, 2006

The contestant

So I read this article in the Sunday paper about a woman who enters contests for a living. Instead of thinking, "what a nut job" I thought, "hey, I think I'll try that too!"

Because I'm not crazy enough, apparently.

There's no way I can possibly match her contesting (there's even a name for it, for God's sake) since she enters roughly 7000 contests per month, but I figure I can give it the old college try for a few weeks and see what, if anything, happens.

Once you reach full term, the odds of anything catastrophic happening to your baby are approximately 1%. That means you have a 99% chance of everything going just perfectly. We were the 1%. With a massive abruption like I had, there is an infant mortality rate of 15%. That means 85% of babies will survive a massive abruption. We were the 15%.

I seem able to beat some pretty extraordinary odds, so I think it's reasonable to assume that I shouldn't have a problem winning a few contests at all. In fact, I dare say the gods owe me. They may not think so (and they may well be preparing their biggest and brightest lightning bolts as we speak), but I'd say it's high time that something good came my way. I'd like to beat the odds and smile about it for a change.

And man, what a change that would be.

2 comments:

Nikki said...

Just wanted to send you a (((((HUG))))) and agree its about time you had something good come your way that can help put that smile back on your face, life can be so unfair!!

the ockers said...

YES, go for it!!!!! because you are OVERDUE a bit of good luck coming your way right about now...