Monday, March 20, 2006

They shot old yeller, didn't they?

It was a pretty pathetic scene. Two adults, well on their way to middle age, bopping away to Madonna's latest disco hit in the car on the way to return a movie.

Madonna. Does anyone under 30 even know who she is anymore?

I had to smile though. My Beloved and I are two peas in a really dorky pod.

I'm not sure how this happened though. I mean, it's not like I was ever cool or anything, but now I'm so far away from cool I need the Hubble Space Telescope to see it. I fall asleep watching Saturday Night Live. I play ping pong - with ravenous enthusiasm. I crochet. I drink tea in the evenings. I tsk at teenagers. I flip off people in Hummers. I bring my own bags to Price Chopper. I stopped paying attention to bands when Duran Duran broke up. I'm not sure I know who Colin Farrell is. I sometimes can't tell the difference between a doorbell on TV and our own front doorbell.

I am officially old.

I can vividly remember making plans to meet friends at 9:00pm and my Mom, quite aghast, asking why we were getting together so late. I was probably 23, maybe 24. To a 23-year old 9:00pm is like four in the afternoon.

In case you're wondering, 9:00pm is like midnight to someone knocking on the door of 36.

And, as if on cue, My Beloved just came in, bleary-eyed and yawning, to tell me it's bedtime.

It's 10:34pm.

Okay seriously, how did this happen?!

4 comments:

Catherine said...

lol...I'm right there with ya. :o)

Sherry said...

Cool - you like Madonna, too?!? She's still my fave, after all this time, despite the mini-scandals, pointy bras, hitchhiking nude, and anything bizarre she can think up. ;-)

You're not alone with feeling old - and I say "feeling" because I don't think you are old. I think we've all just grown up a bit and our priorities have changed or shifted. Nothing wrong with that at all.

But, seriously - you DO know who Colin Farrell is, right?

Teresa said...

Hmmm... I can totaly relate. Although, I would have to say that at 23, I was heading out at midnight, and partying until the sun rose...but that's another life!

This might be interesting: I just turned 37 (OMG!!) and found a white eyebrow hair!

kate said...

me too ;) 9:30 is my bedtime LOL